Saturday, September 05, 2009

Concepts- dragon and vaguely mammalian alien


For my Children's Book class I was told to focus on something I'm allready good at and try to wham out some portfolio pieces. Alright then, dragons it is :)

The book will be called "A Dragon's Guide to the Care of Humans", it's written in a sort of guide book style from the veiwpoint of a dragon. It feels a little like a kid with an ant farm only on a larger scale :) Target audience is more teen or young teen or various subculture folk than the wee Timmies of the world but I think it'll be fun. Anyhow this is my indonesian dragon design. Tribesman and such to follow, along with africa, europe, australia and the americas :)

This image is one of the rejects from a game project I'm working on for Mouseplay Productions. It's very interesting working on character design for a distinctly alien but very empathisable (is that even a word? I dont think so..) species. You can kinda see here I went and did one concept on the bottom right first and then went on to make it more and more alien/accessorized/unfriendly. The end concept still had to be likable so no giant fangs this time..well ok maybe a couple. In the end this came out too much like existing earth species and was rejected over some other things I came out with, including one dapper yellow dude that I'm sad I cant say anything more about but happy that he's greenlit :)






That's all for right now folks! More to come later as I tie up some projects, until then, thanks for dropping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment